Have solar or considering it?
Solar customers are automatically enrolled into RMEA’s net metering program that offers the same benefits you receive now from Southern California Edison, plus the added benefit of a higher Net Surplus Compensation Rate should your system generate more power than you use throughout your relevant period.
There is no impact to customers NEM 1.0 grandfathering status by enrolling in RMEA NEM service.
If you already enjoy the benefits of net energy metering (NEM) with SCE, or are installing a solar system, you do not have to do anything futher. As a RMEA customer, your account will automatically be enrolled in RMEA’s Solar Choice, which offers a lower generation rate schedule for power you are using and a Net Surplus Compensation rate of $0.06 per kWh, which beats SCE’s current Net Surplus Compensation rate, for excess energy your system may generate as measured at the end of the relevant period. With RMEA the relevant period for generation related activity ends in May each year.
With RMEA’s Solar Choice, customers generation charges and credits are escrowed until May each year (end of our relevant period), which provides customers a full year to net out high summer usage against the system generated credits they have accumulated. With our Solar Choice program, you’ll receive an energy credit for the power your system provides to the grid. At the close of each month, we’ll tally the amount of grid energy you’ve consumed and contributed. If you have contributed more energy than you have used, you’ll see a credit on your bill for that month’s energy charges. If you have used more energy than you have contributed, you will see a charge for that month’s energy charges. Each May, on your meter read date, the kilowatt usage is evaluated. In the event that you used more power than your system generated, you will see a charge for the net amount. If you were a Net Surplus Generator or produced more energy than you used, you will be compensated at the Net Surplus Compensation Rate of $0.06 per kWh. Simple as that!
- Current NEM customers will automatically be enrolled in the RMEA Solar Choice program.
- SCE will true-up customers in May regardless of what month they are in their current relevant period.
- The effective date NEM customers begin service with RMEA is also the effective date of the new relevant period for both SCE and RMEA.
- The relevant period for the RMEA side of the bill (generation) will be reset to end on the meter read date in May of each year.
- RMEA electric generation charges will be escrowed and tracked throughout the relevant period, which means customers won’t pay a generation charge until the end of the 12-month relevant period. This allows customers a full 12 months to net out any generation charges. Customer bills will still report customers credits and debits and provide a running total for easy tracking.
- At the end of the relevant period NEM accounts will be trued-up.
- Energy generation credits accrued during the relevant period will be used to offset energy generation charges.
- Energy charges not offset by energy credits at the time of true-up will be billed to the customer.
- Any energy credits that exceed energy charges are set to zero for the start of the new relevant period.
- The amount of your excess generation kWh will be paid out at RMEA’s Net Surplus Compensation at $0.06 per kWh, which is over double the current SCE rate.
- This compensation is for generation side of bill only; delivery side will continue to fall under SCE’s applicable program.
- New NEM customers will continue to apply through SCE to establish their NEM service.
Click Here to View NEM Customer Letter