The Power to Choose
Why did the Rancho Mirage City Council create this program?
The City Council started Rancho Mirage Energy Authority (RMEA) for the purpose of helping to reduce our community’s Southern California Edison (SCE) electricity bills. RMEA is yet another way the City Council is being proactive in offering Rancho Mirage residents and businesses yet another benefit of living and working in our fine City.
What is RMEA?
RMEA is the all-new, locally run, not-for-profit power program created by the City of Rancho Mirage, specifically for our community. This clean and modern power provider will be available exclusively to those residents and businesses within Rancho Mirage that are currently served by SCE. RMEA is set to start providing power on May 1, 2018, and will be the first in the Coachella Valley to offer this dynamic program to its community. RMEA has partnered with SCE, so many of the functions are still performed by SCE as they are now, which makes the program very low impact to implement. In addition, there will be no registration or sign up process as described below.
How does RMEA work?
RMEA is overseen by the Rancho Mirage City Council, whose interests are aligned with yours. RMEA purchases power directly from power providers, pays consultants for compliance functions, and sets electricity rates based on our costs. RMEA power is delivered through SCE poles and wires. The power provided by RMEA is cleaner and cheaper than SCE power. SCE is still the utility and will continues to bill and collect from customers but using RMEA’s lower electricity rates, which is how we save our residents and businesses 5%.
What are the Benefits of RMEA?
RMEA provides customers a choice where before there was none. SCE customers will automatically be enrolled into RMEA’s 5% discount on electricity. Solar customers will automatically be enrolled into RMEA’s net metering program that offers the benefits you get now, plus RMEA doubles the rebate for excess energy put back onto the grid over the SCE rebate. Community-wide savings after the first year of RMEA operations is estimated at $1.4 million.
What are other Benefits of RMEA?
- No enrollment process; all customers are automatically signed up for the 5% savings that start on May 1, 2018.
- CARE, FERA and Medical Baseline discount customers will keep their current discount and save even more with RMEA.
- SCE will continue to read your meter, bill you, and process your payment. They will still respond to your requests and handle any power outages. Only the source and price of the electricity flowing to your home will change with RMEA.
- No change to auto-pay plans or level rate pay plans.
- RMEA energy is cleaner and better for the environment.
- Optional 100% renewable plan (requires customers to take action to opt-up to this plan).
- RMEA is a stand-alone program that doesn’t impact City services or funding.
- In accordance with law, SCE customers can expect 4 additional notices in March, April, June and July.
- Don’t want to save 5%, customers may opt-out of RMEA and stay on the higher SCE rate schedule.